Thursday 21 May 2015

Summer reads!

I love reading, especially in summer. Mainly because during summer I go camping a lot, and there is nothing better then laying in the sun, a drink in one hand and a great book in the other. Therefore, I thought I would share with you some of my favourite books I have read recently.


Stitching Snow by R.C. Lewis
Her home planet is filled with violence and corruption at the hands of King Matthias and his wife as they attempt to punish her captors. The king will stop at nothing to get his beloved daughter back—but that’s assuming she wants to return at all.”
If you love and are looking for a science fiction fairy tale retelling, then I recommend Stitching Snow. Basically it is a Snow White retelling set against a space adventure, and with a lot of twists and turns, it was a little slow in some places but I can by pass them little bits. I know many people have compared this with The Lunar Chronicles, in my opinion its not as good as The Lunar Chronicles, however they were the first books I had read of this type, therefore that is why its still such a favorite of mine. 

Beware the Wild by Natalie C. Parker
"It's an oppressively hot and sticky morning in June when Sterling and her brother, Phin, have an argument that compels him to run into the town swamp—the one that strikes fear in all the residents of Sticks, Louisiana. Phin doesn't return. Instead, a girl named Lenora May climbs out, and now Sterling is the only person in Sticks who remembers her brother ever existed." 
I cannot explain how much I enjoyed this book, it was totally different to anything I have read for a while and it had me gripped straight away! If you want something a little dark and a little twisted this is the book for you!

Frozen Charlotte by Alex Bell
“We're waiting for you to come and play. Dunvegan School for Girls has been closed for many years. Converted into a family home, the teachers and students are long gone. But they left something behind...Sophie arrives at the old schoolhouse to spend the summer with her cousins. Brooding Cameron with his scarred hand, strange Lilias with a fear of bones and Piper, who seems just a bit too good to be true. And then there's her other cousin. The girl with a room full of antique dolls. The girl that shouldn't be there. The girl that died.”
If there is something I enjoy reading it’s a good horror story. This is definitely up their with one of the best I have read. It really gets into your head and puts you on edge. It is slightly predictable (or it might just be me as I find this a lot with books and films) but never the less its twisted and haunting!

Wild Boy and the Black Terror by Rob Lloyd Jones
“From London’s vilest slums to its grandest palaces, Wild Boy and Clarissa hunt a murderous poisoner in hope of proving themselves to a skeptical society. In the seedy underworld of Victorian London, a boy is born and abandoned. Snatched up by an unscrupulous and abusive showman, Wild Boy, covered in hair from head to toe, becomes a sideshow freak. Isolated from other children and wickedly abused by the cruel master who bought him, Wild Boy becomes an avid observer, developing Sherlock Holmes–like deductive skills.
This is the first book in the Wild Boy series, and it is aimed at children maybe more so then adults. However, as a teacher I make sure I read a range of children’s books to make sure I have fresh ideas for lessons and themes. Never the less this and the second book are really good, I read them both in 2 days and there are still 300+ pages. It was really easy going and there were a lot of twists and turns in the story, overall its beyond well written and if your looking for something lighter and easy going as a breather book (which I find essential if I’m planning on reading two hardcore books after each other) then this book is great.

If You Find Me by Emily Murdoch
“Carey is keeping a terrible secret. If she tells, it could destroy her future. If she doesn't, will she ever be free? 
For almost as long as she can remember, Carey has lived in the heart of the woods with her drug-addicted mother and six-year-old sister, Jenessa. Their mother routinely disappears for weeks at a time, leaving the girls to cope alone. Survival is Carey's only priority - until strangers arrive and everything changes...
Now, I am more of the horror, action and adventure sort of girl. However, when this popped up on my radar I really wanted to give it a go, and OMG I am beyond happy I did! It was phenomenal! I really couldn’t put it down, it was fantastic, if you haven’t read this already then you need to now! You most definitely will not regret it.

What books are on your summer reading list?

No comments:

Post a Comment